For many years in a row, Dubai has been rated as one of the safest countries in the world. This is one of the main reasons we choose Dubai as a favorite travel destination. As with any country in the world ( including your home ) be alert at all times, use your senses, travel with a group and enjoy your stay!
Once you receive your registration confirmation, you can book your flight! You will need to look for flights that arrive at Dubai International Airport ( DXB ) You are welcome to arrive at any time of the day or night but please keep in mind that check in time at the hotel is 3:00pm. We highly suggest using Google Flights to search for the best itineraries and fares. Feel free to text or call us if you need assistance booking your flights.
All travelers are required to obtain Travelers Insurance before going on the retreat. This is to protect you in case you have to cancel your trip, in case your luggage gets lost and ESPECIALLY in case you have a medical emergency. We are blessed in the United States to have hospitals that are required to treat us – even if we don’t have money on hand. Most of the world does not work like this. Many hospitals will not even talk to you until you can show proof of a Travel Insurance Plan.
There are many travel insurance companies out there.
This is a company that we personally use and have chosen to partner with this year.
For your convenience, here is a quick link to sign up now: AIG TRAVEL GUARD
Be sure to note that there are many different types of policies to choose from. One of the main differences is “Emergency Cancellation” ( Cancel because of a medical emergency etc ) vs “CFAR” ( Cancel for any reason – like if you just change your mind. ) CFAR policies sometimes require you to purchase the policy within a certain time frame from placing your deposit and are usually a bit more expensive. Just some things to consider!
Once you have secured your Travelers Insurance, please send us a quick email to let us know. We want to make sure every traveler is protected on this beautiful adventure.
We hope these tips help!
There are no vaccine requirements for United States Citizens. If you are traveling from another country, please check with your local government. We do suggest to all participants that you consult a physician or Travel Clinic before traveling so that you can be educated on the immunizations that are suggested as an extra precaution. This decision is totally up to you. If you plan to travel to more rural areas, extra precaution should be taken. U.S. Citizens can read more here :
The name of the currency in Dubai and the United Arab Emirates is the dirham (AED or Arab Emirate Dirham – also commonly abbreviated to Dhs or DH) Right now, $1 USD is equal to 3.67 AED
United States Citizens do not need a visa to visit Dubai. If you are from the U.S. and plan to stay longer than our retreat dates or are traveling from another country, please check with your local government. All travelers: Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months beyond your trip dates.
Many hotels these days are equipped with American & European Outlets but you should always be prepared when traveling. For charging things like phones & iPads, you will need an adapter. We purchased this Apple Travel Kit. It is a great investment because it has plugs for various countries so you can use for future travels. If you don’t use Apple, just get something similar from your provider. You can find many kinds of adapters on Amazon for cheap as well.
Appliances get a little trickier. Hair Dryers are provided in the hotels so you won’t need to bring one.
For appliances like shavers, flat irons and curling wands; you will need a converter ( in addition to an adapter.)
The Conair Styling Converter Kit is the only converter out there that is designed to work with high-end hair styling tools and we absolutely love it.
Be sure to check out our SHOP on the VIVE Website for easy access to our favorite adapters & travel gear!
There are 3 ways you can choose to use your phone while abroad.
Option 1 : Switch the settings on your phone to “data roaming – OFF” and just use your phone whenever you are connected to WiFi. Hotels, cafes, shops will almost always have WiFi. Use the WhatsApp app to text freely with friends & family.
Option 2 : Purchase a SIM card with unlimited data so you can use your phone anywhere & everywhere. It’s easier than it sounds. You basically find a kiosk at the airport, mall or 7-11 and have the employees set it up for you. This option is suggested for those that might want to access FaceBook, SnapChat, Instagram , etc when on the go. We also suggest this method in case of emergencies. We will be doing this upon arrival at the airport – just to get it out of the way.
Option 3 : Set up an International Data Plan with your cell phone service provider. Daily rates will vary depending on your carrier.
Dubai does welcome tourists and is quite liberal, however there are some instances where it pays to dress slightly more conservatively, covering your shoulders and knees, and other times where you can dress for your own comfort. We have put together a very informative guide for what to wear in Dubai for men and women. Read our detailed Blog Post : How to Dress in Dubai
- DON’T EVER POINT
- NO FEET TOWARDS ANYONE / DON’T PROP FEET UP
- DRESS MODEST, IN MOSQUES ( MEN & WOMEN ), WOMEN DRESS MODEST WHEN OUTSIDE OF HOTEL
- DON’T BE LOUD
- DRESS NICE
- NEVER DISRESPECT THE SHEIKH FAMILY, GOVERNMENT OR ROYALTY
ALWAYS REMOVE YOUR SHOES WHEN ENTERING A MOSQUE OR SOMEONES HOME. SOME RESTAURANTS MAY REQUIRE THIS ALSO.
WHEN HAILING A TAXI, KEEP YOUR HAND OUT HORIZONTAL WITH FINGERS FACING DOWN TOWARDS THE GROUND. HOLDING YOUR HANDS WITH FINGERS UP OR POINTING IS CONSIDERED VERY RUDE. NEVER WHISTLE. WOMEN SHOULD SIT IN THE BACK OF TAXI
- NOT EXPECTED ( LIKE IN USA ) BUT APPRECIATED
- HOTELS ( MAYBE $1 PER BAG ) FOR LUGGAGE CARRIER OR HOUSEKEEPING
- RESTAURANTS, CUSTOMARY TO LEAVE ANY LOOSE CHANGE IN COINS AS A TIP • MOST HOTELS & RESTAURANTS ALREADY INCLUDE A 10% SERVICE CHARGE ON YOUR BILL. IT IS SHARED AMONG THE EMPLOYEES.
- IN VERY HIGH END RESTAURANT WITH EXCELLENT SERVICE 5% – 10% TIP IS APPRECIATED.
- FOR TAXIS JUST ROUND UP THE FARE AND ADD A LITTLE EXTRA.
- MAKE SURE TAXIS TURN ON THEIR METER SO THEY CAN’T SCAM YOU. IF THEY TELL YOU A PLACE IS CLOSED “ AND YOU SHOULD GO SOMEWHERE ELSE “- JUST FIND ANOTHER DRIVER. THEY ARE PROBABLY TRYING TO SCAM YOU.
- NEVER GIVE YOUR PASSPORT OVER AS A DEPOSIT FOR JET SKIS OR MOTORBIKES. THIS IS A SCAM AS WELL.
- WE HAVE BEEN TO DUBAI MULTIPLE TIMES AND NEVER EXPERIENCED A FEELING OF BEING SCAMMED. JUST BE AWARE AND ALERT AS YOU WOULD BACK HOME.
IF THERE IS A FIXED, INDIVIDUAL PRICE TAG , IT IS PROBABLY NOT A BARGAINING PLACE.
IF HAGGLING – CUT PRICE IN HALF, THEN MEET SOMEWHERE COMFORTABLE IN THE MIDDLE.
AS A RULE OF THUMB FOR ALL AIRPORTS, VAPES ARE NOT ALLOWED IN CHECKED LUGGAGE ( THEY MUST BE IN YOUR CARRY ON IN A SEPARATE BAGGIE ) NO DRONE PHOTOGRAPHY WITHOUT REGISTERING & GETTING A CERTIFICATE OF APPROVAL. NOTHING TOO SERIOUS BUT PLEASE JUST ALWAYS BE AWARE OF THE LAWS FOR ANY COUNTRY YOU VISIT BY READING UP ONLINE.
- A photocopy of your passport to carry when out and about as I.D. ( keep original passport in hotel safe along with your other valuables.)
- Make sure your passport is valid for 6 months beyond your entry date into the country. Always check online for any updates to passport & visa policies. There is no visa needed ( for US citizens ) for this specific retreat. If you hold other citizenship, please check visa policies for your country.
- Prescriptions along with original bottles & doctors note
- Camera, chargers, adapters
- Light weight yoga mat ( Expensive ones are usually too heavy for travel. Stick with a cheapy one that you don’t mind getting dirty or leaving behind.) Most of the time you can carry your mat on the plane without it counting as a carry on. It will become your best friend for stretches / naps during airport layovers.
- Entertainment for your flight Books, Kindle, journal to write in, healthy snacks, neck pillow. Whatever makes you happy – plan out your long haul entertainment.
- Packing Cubes are life. Get some on the SHOP page here on our Vive Website!
NOTIFY BANKS OF YOUR TRAVELS
REGISTER YOUR TRIP ON S.T.E.P.
PHOTOCOPY OF ALL PASSPORTS & DOCUMENTS
DOWNLOAD WHATSAPP FOR TEXTING
DOWNLOAD SPEAK ARABIC APP / GOOGLE TRANSLATE
DOWNLOAD CURRENCY CONVERTER APP
While in Dubai, almost everyone will speak English just fine. However, it is helpful to memorize a few key words. This not only shows the locals that you respect their culture but can also help when communicating with drivers or guides in your free time.
Hope you find this page helpful! Be sure to check in on our Private FaceBook Group for more info, live Q&As, videos and fun posts all about Dubai! Email or Text us anytime with questions.